Friday, February 26, 2010

CEO of Goldstar Events: More Pie Now!

Live 2.0
By Jim McCarthy


A couple days ago, I participated in a Panel at Tickets.com’s excellent Executive Summit in Long Beach. This gathering, in its second year, is one of a kind in that it brings together top executives across the live entertainment business for a brief, but powerful conference on a wide range of issues that affect the whole industry.

I was on a panel with a group of really interesting folks, and the topic was “Innovative Ways to Sell Inventory.” My prepared notes had me talking about the importance of addressing a female audience, since 85% of all branded products are bought by women in America. (Frankly, I’m not even sure I believe that stat, but I believe it’s directionally accurate.) I asked the audience how many people believed women bought 25% or more of all tires in the US and about half or perhaps a little less said they believed that.

But the number’s really 60%. That one blows me away. It implies that either women are buying tires for men, men don’t replace their tires, or women have more cars on which tires must be replaced. But this statistic, I wholeheartedly believe, because it’s true of just about every other segment of the economy.

And that’s how the panel was going until I got sidetracked. Read More >